Tuesday, February 10, 2009

W.O.W.

World of Warcraft
I have been playing World of Warcraft for over four years now. The extent I play varies depending on my availability, and desire. Lately I'm finding my desire diminished. I no longer make time for the game but rather play when there's time.

Hobbies
I've never centered my life around gaming, however it has been a large part of my life. Everyone has their hobbies. Some play cards, some go to the Gym, others go to the bar. Me, I go to my computer and log in to another world. A world where I can be whomever I want to be. Where I can be as helpful or as selfish as I want, without fear of reprisal. It is the place I can go to relieve my stress or anxiety by taking it out on others. A majority of the time the others are computer A.I.'s so I'm not adversely effecting someone Else's good time. Some times however, that's just not good enough. There's a certain satisfaction that comes with taking out others who think they are better than you. This PVP (player vs player) part of the game is voluntary so people are opening themselves up to it. So I'm not exactly harassing them or anything so there's no reason to feel bad. There's a certain amount of smugness to be had when your the last one standing. The feeling of running in to your base with ten enemies all trying to run you down and kill you and you capture their flag with that last bit of health, just can't be beat. It's like skydiving. It's a cheap adrenaline rush all from the comfort of your own seat. It's great.

Social aspects, the good, the bad
Wow owes much of it's success to the fact that it is a MMORPG (Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Game). The fact that it is impossible to get the best of the best gear with out socializing forces you to interact and cooperate with others. It's a great aspect of the game. However, for those with RL (Real Life) commitments it also makes it a very difficult part of the game. It's not the type of game you can pick up for a few minutes, do a few things and somehow advance your character. No, in order to get better gear you must group with other players to complete Dungeons (5 people) or raids (10-40 people). This means you have to either coordinate your schedule with at least five other people or get a PUG (Pick Up Group). The benefit from having the same people is that you know each others play styles, and methods and can have a much more entertaining time. The negative is that you need to coordinate those schedules. If you cannot set aside a block of time (1hr-4hrs) to do the instances and you have to leave early you hinder those other people. They then have to stop and PUG that vacant spot you left behind. It forces those without set schedules to be limited in what they are able to accomplish. PUG's have the benefit of being able to form quickly. However the negatives are vast. The skill of the players that you pick up may not be there at all. The player may wrongly believe he is entitled to things (loot) that he isn't. Players may leave before it is done. At the first sign of difficulty many PUG's disband. It is "one of those things" in the game. It's just something you have to deal with.

Some hobbies make money
During a video game convention I went to I entered a tournament and actually won. I won an in game loot card. You punch in a code on the card and it gives you loot for within the game. Instead of using that item for myself I decided to try and sell it. Sell it I did (well Lorie did for me, but it was my card and idea). We made over 150 bucks. Which essentially paid for a year of my gaming. It was the first time ever a video game I played paid for itself. Since that time I've been trying to come up with ways of making money on or within the game that would benefit RL. I've had many thoughts on it. From guides, to websites, to social sites, to my latest. There are programs out there that will essentially automate the easy things within the game so that way you don't have to. I've found a way to use them to raise my characters levels to maximum with little to no effort on my part. If I were in turn to sell these characters or the in game gold they make for RL money I could actually turn a profit. Granted it won't be a staggering profit, but a profit nonetheless. A profit for doing something I enjoy so much. Seems like a no-brainer to me, now to implement it...

No comments:

Post a Comment