Monday, February 16, 2009

Soft spot for dogs

Differences
Took the boys to the park yesterday to give my lovely bride a much deserved rest. Being boys they always seem to hurt themselves one way or another. James fell trying the monkey bars for the first time and more or less just cried because he was scared when he fell. Logan, when he fell said, "Daddy, owie!" He made me kiss it then walked away as if all was right in the world. It's amazing how two sons can turn out so very differently. One, a daredevil. The other, well a scaredy cat. It's so great seeing those two evolve. They are two very distinct individuals.

Aye Chihuahua
So the kids are having a good ole' time playing on the playground when this long legged chihuahua comes walking up. She was very skinny and obviously very thirsty. Right next to the playground there is a drinking fountain. She kept jumping up at the drinking fountain trying to get a drink. So we gave her some water in a little cup and let her drink. She finished it all and so we gave her more. Poor little thing must've been running around for a while to have been that thirsty. I looked around for any signs of a possible owner. Then James called out, "Hey everyone! Did anyone lost a dog!" The other people around just shook their head and no one said anything. There wasn't many people around. The little dog had such a nice demeanor I didn't want anything to happen to her. We stayed at the park for a while longer and the dog sat up on the park bench with me while the kids played. She just sat there not bothering anyone. So when it came time to leave I decided that rather than let this dog run around and possibly get run over I'd take her to the pound.

The pound
We arrived at the pound to the sounds you would expect to hear. We walk in and I say, "I found this poor girl at the park. I hope you can help her get back home." The lady asked me where I found her and looked it up on a map. Then said that it was out of their area and I'd have to take it to the city shelter. I said,"But it's Sunday and they are closed today aren't they?" She said, "Yes." and then just looked at me.

Economics
Now let me try and lay out the picture here. I'm standing there holding a dog that's not mine at a pound and they are telling me that I can't leave it there. They said either take it home or put it back where you found it. Those were the options she gave me. What's sad is I know this lady is a good lady. I've dealt with her before when I picked up my previous dogs from this pound. The problem they have been having lately is that they have a much larger population in their pound then usual. The economic climate is forcing some people to just let their dogs go because they just can't afford them. I'd much rather a dog be euthanized humanely than have to live with diseases or lack of food or water. It becomes a quality of life issue.

Long story short (too late)
Zoey (the name Lorie finally let me call her, I believe this was her 6th name [my favorite was Olive Oil]) is sitting comfortably and well fed in our home. I'm not a huge fan of small dogs but her personality is nice. She's a good dog and I want to make sure she's taken care of. Even if it means we have to do it. Lorie's printing found posters which we'll post at the park and fax to the shelters, but if no one claims her we may just have a new member to the Conover family. Not the girl I was hoping for that's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. How funny, I've been in a similar position where I was just outside someone's service area and they wanted me to go way across town when it was just easier to say, "ok, let me take it." But it's nice that you have a little chihuahua. It's weird that you mentioned "long legs" in reference to a dog that, when fully grown, is not above one foot high. lol.

    ReplyDelete